University of Birmingham : Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarship & Placements

Study Abroad Team 19/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Located in Birmingham, England, the University is home to a public research institution. One of the oldest institutions in the UK, it was established in 1900. It is to be noted by the students looking to study in the UK that the university is renowned for its significant contributions to research and dedication to providing top-notch instruction.

Birmingham University is proud to be the founding member of the esteemed Russell group and is ranked by QS rankings as a member among the top universities globally.

The University of Birmingham has 5 eminent colleges with 350 UG and 600 PG courses under it. The University has approximately 40000 students, of which around 24% (approx.) are international. Students seeking to study in the UK should note that the university also has an acceptance rate of 74%.

The University of Birmingham has produced several renowned alumni in a variety of professions, including Chris Addison (comedian and actor), Neville Chamberlain, and J.R.R. Tolkien (author of "The Lord of the Rings").

The University of Birmingham Highlights –

Some of the highlights of the University of Birmingham for students looking to study in the UK:

  • Research Excellence: The University is well known for contributing to research in many sectors. It is consistently recognized as one of the top research-intensive universities in the UK.
  • Cultural involvement: The University is dedicated to cultural involvement and frequently works with Birmingham's cultural organizations. It sponsors performances, exhibitions, and activities that enrich the city's cultural landscape.
  • International Collaborations: The University of Birmingham has forged connections with academic institutions worldwide. These partnerships enable research interchange, cooperative initiatives, and international academic engagement.
  • Campus setting: The main Edgbaston campus features new construction and old redbrick structures. It offers a beautiful, accommodating educational, research, and student life setting.
  • Sport and Recreation: The University offers outstanding athletic facilities, including a sports complex with a gym, a pool, and a sports court. It motivates students to maintain their physical activity levels and engage in various sports and fitness pursuits.

University of Birmingham Admissions

For students looking to study in the UK, the following are the admission requirements for Birmingham University:

UG Admission Requirement at the University of Birmingham

  • The student must apply through the official admission portal, UCAS.
  • Once applied, the student has to pay an application fee of Rs.2115 for a single course
  • The student should have a minimum score of 65-70% to get admission into Birmingham University.
  • It is also important for the student to clear IELTS with a minimum score of 6 bands with 5.5 bands in each section.
  • The student should obtain a letter of reference and a personal statement, which should be attached to the application form.

PG Admission Requirement at the University of Birmingham

  • The student must apply in the official admission portal online.
  • Once applied, the student has to pay an application fee of Rs.4800
  • The student should score above 50% to get admission into Birmingham University.
  • It is also important for the student to clear IELTS with a minimum score of 6 bands and GMAT with a score of 650
  • The student should attach the following to the application form :

- Statement of Purpose

- 2 neatly drafted reference letters

- An academic LOR

- Research proposals

- Work samples

- Resume

University of Birmingham - Programs Offered

It is to be noted by students looking to study in the UK that the University of Birmingham offers various undergraduate, postgraduate, and research programs. Some of the most popular programs offered by the University of Birmingham are listed below:

Top Undergraduate Programs Offered by the University of Birmingham

  • Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English Literature
  • BA in History
  • BA in Philosophy
  • Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Economics
  • BSc in Psychology
  • BSc in Physics
  • BSc in Mathematics
  • BSc in Computer Science
  • Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
  • Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
  • Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
  • Bachelor of Architecture
  • Bachelor of Engineering (BEng)

Top Postgraduate Programs Offered by the University of Birmingham

  • Master of Business Administration (MBA)
  • MSc in Economics
  • MSc in International Relations
  • MSc in Healthcare Management
  • Master of Public Health
  • MA in English Literature
  • MA in History
  • MA in Modern Languages
  • MA in Philosophy
  • MSc in Data Science
  • MA in Fine Art
  • MA in Archaeology
  • MA in International Relations

Top Doctorate Programs Offered by the University of Birmingham

  • Ph.D. in English Literature
  • Ph.D. in History
  • Ph.D. in Modern Languages
  • Ph.D. in Computer Science
  • Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering
  • Ph.D. in Economics
  • Ph.D. in International Relations
  • Ph.D. in Law
  • Ph.D. in Business and Management
  • Ph.D. in Business and Management
  • Ph.D. in Philosophy
  • Ph.D. in Political Science
  • Ph.D. in Medicine

Accommodations at the University of Birmingham

The students looking to study in the UK can note that the University of Birmingham provides accommodations within the campus. The University offers student accommodations at its three types of student villages, which have around 6,000 rooms in total. The following are the three university halls of residence and their facilities:

  • Chamberlain: Chamberlain is one of the contemporary dorms for students at the University of Birmingham situated on or near the campus. It provides a range of amenities to improve student life, like En-suite Rooms, Communal Spaces, laundry facilities, bike storage, vending machines, and Wi-Fi connectivity.
  • Shackleton: Shackleton is yet another student accommodation option that provides a range of facilities like studio apartments with private kitchenettes and bathrooms, Common areas like lounges and communal kitchens, Study Areas, Gyms or Fitness rooms, and 24/7 Security.
  • Pritchatts Park Village: Pritchatts Park Village is the other student accommodation option with its own set of facilities like en-suite rooms and self-contained apartments, catered meals, outdoor areas, such as gardens or open spaces for relaxation and outdoor activities, social events and activities for residents, easy access to university facilities.

Off-Campus Housing

Off-campus housing is available from the university if the students prefer a space. Each flat has its own kitchen and bathroom amenities, often shared with other students. The rent covers all utilities and internet connection, and the flats are completely furnished.

Cost of Living at the University of Birmingham

Cost of Course

The cost of different courses in the University of Birmingham are as follows:

  • Undergraduate Programs – Rs. 16 lakhs to R.18 Lakhs approx.
  • Postgraduate Courses – Rs. 18 Lakhs – Rs. 20 Lakhs approx.

Cost of Living

The approximate breakdown of various costs under the cost of living in the University of Birmingham includes the following:

  • Accommodations (On Campus) - Rs. 380000 – 150000 approx.
  • Accommodations (Off-Campus) - Rs. 420000 approx.
  • Food – Rs.59000 approx.
  • Clothes – Rs. 5500 approx.
  • Entertainment – Rs. 2000 approx.
  • Transportation – Rs. 4000 approx.

University of Birmingham - Scholarships 

The University of Birmingham offers a lot of valuable scholarships to students trying to study in the UK. Some of the best scholarships available for students are as follows:

  • Commonwealth Scholarships
  • Charles Wallace Trust Scholarship
  • India Inlaks Scholarships
  • JN Tata Endowment Scholarship
  • The University of Birmingham Lord Karan Bilimoria (chancellor) Scholarship
  • University of Birmingham Masters Scholarships
  • Outstanding Achievement Scholarship
  • Commonwealth Split-site Scholarship
  • Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships

Placements at the University of Birmingham

Students at Birmingham University are placed in a wide range of industries and fields. Around 85% of the university’s students work full-time or part-time while studying. Some of the fields where students are placed include:

  • Engineering and Technology
  • Science and Research
  • Business and Management
  • Healthcare and Medicine
  • Education
  • Law and Legal Services
  • International Relations and Global Affairs
  • Media and Communications
  • Environmental and Sustainability
  • Arts and Humanities

Top Recruiters at the University of Birmingham

  • Accenture
  • Deloitte
  • Ernst & Young
  • PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers)
  • KPMG
  • Jaguar Land Rover
  • IBM
  • Rolls-Royce
  • Amazon
  • BBC
  • AstraZeneca

You might also interested in other Best Universities in the UK:

Study Abroad
Study in UK
studyinaustralia
universityofbirmingham
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 162 Answers - 168
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants