California Institute of Technology (Caltech): Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarship & Placements

Study Abroad Team 19/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The California Institute of Technology, or Caltech is a prominent academic institute located in Pasadena, California. It is to be noted by the students applying to study in USA that the current QS ranking of the institute is 6, while its U.S. News & World Report Ranking is 9. 

Caltech is primarily known for the path breaking science and engineering studies it has hosted over the years. The institute started in 1891 as a vocational training center called the Throop University. Two other names the school got during its initial years are Throop Polytechnic Institute and Throop College of Technology. It got its current name after almost three decades, 1920 to be precise. 

In 1949, the institute received regional accreditation from WSCUC or WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) Senior College and University Commission. The institute is home to six academic divisions covering subjects like biology, chemistry, geology, engineering, mathematics, astronomy, physics, social sciences, and humanities.  It is a great place for students looking out to study in USA.

California Institute of Technology Highlights 

Some of the highlights of Caltech for students looking out to study in USA are as follows: 

  • At present, around 2200 students are studying at Caltech. Out of them, 55% are completing their graduation. 
  • A great thing about the institute is its low teacher-student ratio. Currently, the ratio is an incredible 3:1. 
  • Caltech allows admission to less than 1,000 students every year, which makes it one of the most challenging US universities to get admission. The university's acceptance rate is just 6.7%, which testifies to its strict admission policy. 
  • It is one of the most sought-after universities in the US for international students. According to recently obtained numbers, 29.94% of the students studying at Caltech are international students. 
  • At 44.53%, the number of international students completing graduate programs is significantly higher than that of international students completing their undergraduate programs. Only 7.9% of undergraduate students at the institute are international students. 
  • Caltech is home to nearly 50 research centres. These include famous names like the Tectonics Observatory and the Resnick Sustainability Institute. Other than that, the institute also operated the Jet Propulsion Laboratory of NASA. This allows the students and faculty of Caltech to be a part of advanced studies on the solar system. 

California Institute of Technology Admissions

Requirements for Undergraduate Admission to California Institute of Technology

Below is the application process to apply for Undergraduate Caltech for students looking out to study in USA:

  • International applicants can choose either the Questionbridge or Common applications to apply to the California Institute of Technology. 
  • Applicants must submit the transcripts of their high school, which must include details of their performance in high school. Caltech requires all applicants to submit proof of the following:
  1. Studying maths for four years and calculus for at least one year
  2. Studying chemistry for one year
  3. Studying physics for one year 
  • The application must include a Statement of Purpose (SOP) to inform the authorities about the applicant's background, talents, and academic accomplishments.  
  • Depending on the course the applicant picks, he/she may need to submit a portfolio. 
  • An IELTS score of 7.5 or above is mandatory as proof of English proficiency. 
  • Every international applicant must pay an application fee of USD 75 (approximately 6,000 INR). The amount is not refundable. However, applicants can get the fee waived by applying through the Common App. 

Requirements for Postgraduate Admission to California Institute of Technology

  • Students can submit their postgraduate application at Caltech.com. 
  • The application must include a Statement of Purpose (SOP) to inform the authorities about the applicant's background, talents, and academic accomplishments.  
  • Some programs require applicants to submit a Letter of Recommendation or LOR.
  • The candidates might need to submit their portfolios depending on their chosen course. 
  • Submitting a CV/Resume is also mandatory.  
  • Applicants must submit copies of their degree certificates and transcripts of their academic performances.
  • Having an IELTS score of 7.5 or above is mandatory as proof of English proficiency.
  • Applicants must pay USD 75 (approximately 6,000 INR) as a non-refundable application fee. However, there are multiple ways to get the fee waived. 
  • Applicants can check the status of their application on the website or app they have applied through. 

California Institute of Technology Programs 

Caltech offers a series of undergraduate, postgraduate, and research programs. The most sought-after programs among them to be noted by for students looking out to study in USA are:

  • MS (Master of Science) in Astrophysics
  • MS in Computation and Neural Systems
  • MS in Electrical Engineering
  • MS in Space Engineering 
  • MS in Aeronautics 
  • MS in Physics 
  • MS in Chemistry 
  • MS in Mechanical Engineering
  • MS in Civil Engineering 
  • MS in Control and Dynamical Systems
  • MS in Medical Engineering
  • MS in Bioengineering
  • MS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 
  • MS in Environmental Science and Engineering
  • MS in Applied Mechanics

California Institute of Technology Accommodations 

Accommodations for Undergraduate Students 

All rooms allotted to undergraduate students have a bed, desk, chair, closet space, and drawers. Here is some more information on Caltech's undergraduate housing for students looking out tostudy in USA: 

  • Bechtel Residence: It houses 15 single bedrooms, a couple of twelve-bedroom suites, sixteen eight-bedroom suites, four six-bedroom suites, and five four-bedroom suites. Every residence floor has kitchens, laundry areas, study rooms, and lunges. All Bechtel residents can access Wi-Fi, data port, and individual climate control.
  • Marks and Braun Residences: Students living in these residences live in single or double rooms, all equipped with window AC units. These students enjoy ethernet ports and Wi-Fi access 24/7. The laundry area and kitchen of these residences are located in the basement of the building. 
  • The North Houses: The North Houses Lloyd, Page, and Venerable, respectively have 80, 86, and 88 beds for undergraduate students. All the North houses share a common laundry area in the building's basement. They have multiple kitchens scattered throughout the building. Students have access to window AC units, Wi-Fi, and ethernet ports. 
  • The South Houses: The Backer and Dabney Houses have 64 beds, while the Fleming House and Rickets House have 80 and 68 beds. All the South Houses are centrally air-conditioned and have multiple kitchens in different parts of the building. The students living in these houses can access ethernet ports and Wi-Fi. 
  • Avery House was built in 1996, making it the newest Caltech house. The house has wheelchair-accessible areas and features 135 beds in its single- and double-bedded rooms. The house's laundry rooms are located on its first floor. Additionally, it has common areas like dining rooms, kitchens, and lounges. Students living here have access to amenities like Wi-Fi and air-conditioners.  

Accommodations for Graduate Students 

Graduate students seeking accommodation in on-campus housing should submit their lottery application within the deadline. Here are the best housing options for Caltech's graduate students who have met the entry requirements:

  • Catalina Apartments: These on-campus apartments provide accommodation to the graduate students of Caltech. The living rooms of these apartments have a coffee table, sofa, and a couple of chairs. The bedrooms have a desk chair, queen bed, dresser, wastebasket, writing (or computer) desk, and bookcase. The kitchens have wood cabinets, a gas oven, a microwave oven, a double sink, and a refrigerator.

The Catalina Apartments can accommodate up to 450 students. Students are allowed to organize events in the building's recreation rooms. 

  • Off-campus Lottery Apartments: The number of beds available in these apartments changes yearly according to the institute's requirements. All these apartments are owned by Caltech and are located within walking distance of the institute's campus. Students living in these apartments can choose between furnished studio units and unfurnished one- or two-bedroom suites. 

California Institute of Technology Cost 

Cost of Course

  • The course fees for MS range between 43.42 lac and 48.35 lac INR
  • The course fees for BE/BTech range between 45.12 lac and 48.36 lac INR
  • The course fees of BSc range between 45.12 lac and 46.61 lac INR

Cost of Living 

The cost of accommodation at Caltech housing ranges from 50,000 INR to 1.5 lac INR per month, depending on the type of room the student chooses to live in. 

California Institute of Technology Scholarships 

International students seeking admission at Caltech are not eligible for any financial aid if they are looking to join a 3-2 program or are applying as transfers. An international student who has plans to apply for a scholarship should mention the same in his or her application. That's because the institute doesn't offer any scholarship based on merit. All its grants and scholarships are need-based. 

California Institute of Technology Placements 

Every student at this institute has access to LinkedIn labs, allowing them to connect with potential employers. On average, the starting annual salary of Caltech graduates is 98 lac INR. 

Study Abroad
Study in USA
StudyAbroad
California Institute of Techno
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants