Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT): Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarships & Placements

Study Abroad Team 19/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is the most significant hub for education, research, and innovation. Situated in Cambridge, Massachusetts, MIT has pushed the boundaries of knowledge since its inception in 1861. MIT has a sharp focus on cutting-edge science, engineering, technology, and programs of other disciplines that have been crucial to shaping the modern world. The university consistently earns top ranks in the world. According to prominent ranking organizations Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), MIT is the highest-ranking university to study in USA, and the world. Sources such as the U.S News & World Report Ranking gave MIT the number 2 spot. Such stellar rankings signify that MIT is where ambition gets a platform.

MIT is highly exclusive and one of the most competitive universities in the USA, with a strict acceptance rate of 4.1%. Therefore, to study in USA and to be an MIT student, one must excel in their chosen field. The school is also one of the most diverse universities in the world. With about 29.1% of the students being outside of the USA, students enjoy a campus rich with diversity.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Highlights

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology has several key points that make it one of the world's most valued establishments of higher education. Some of the university’s key features are:

  • The university has a strong alumni network with an extensive list of notable alumni. Potential students will get a chance to connect to these individuals who have excelled in various disciplines at all levels.
  • MIT’s OpenCourseWare (OCW) provides the university with a comprehensive collection of course material available online at no charge. Therefore, aspiring learners across the globe can gain knowledge without barriers.
  • MIT has a strong vision of solving complex real-world problems. To achieve this ambition, the university provides its students with state-of-the-art laboratories. MIT also has virtual and augmented reality labs.
  • The university has a considerable focus on the health and well-being of the students. For this, MIT has invested heavily in health and wellness centers, sports, and recreational facilities.
  • Lastly, MIT has a robust interdisciplinary approach to imparting knowledge. Apart from STEM courses, the university is also highly regarded for its courses in arts and humanities.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Admission

Undergraduate Admission to Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

  • Aspiring students can apply to MIT through their application portal, myMIT. This portal allows students to send in their application process and is built to easily maintain the required documents.
  • The application fee required is $75 or 6,191 INR.
  • The student must produce official high school transcripts to apply for an undergraduate program at MIT. Although MIT does not have a minimum required GPA, admitted students typically have high GPAs, from 3.9 to 4.0.
  • International applicants from countries where English is not the official language must prove their English proficiency. Tests such as IELTS, TOEFL- iBT, and Duolingo are some tests accepted at MIT. The university requires students to score a minimum of 7 bands in IELTS, 90 in TOEFL-iBT, and 120 in the Duolingo exam.
  • Standardized tests such as SAT and ACT are also requirements to get accepted into MIT. Students accepted into MIT scored 1520-1580 on the SAT and 35-36 on the ACT.
  • Other entry requirements for getting accepted into MIT are submitting 2 Letters of recommendation, submitting the essay questions, and presenting a portfolio with relevant accomplishments.
  • MIT also has an interview phase where an education counselor interviews applicants.

Graduate Admission Requirements at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

  • The program's application fee is $ 75 or 6,191 INR except for the Sloan School of Management, which ranges from $95 (7,843 INR) to $250 (20,639 INR) depending on the selected course.
  • Applicants must have a 4 or 3 year Undergraduate degree (US Equivalent).
  • There are no minimum GPA requirements. However, a GPA of 3.5 and above will improve your chances of being accepted.
  • Standardized tests such as GMAT (for MBA) and GRE must be taken. MIT requires a GMAT score of 730 or above and GRE scores of 155-170 (Verbal) and 154-170 (Quant).
  • Students must take English proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS from countries where English is not the native language.
  • Furthermore, applicants need to provide 2-3 Letters of Recommendation, a Statement of Purpose (SoP), and a resume.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Programs

MIT offers a wide array of advanced courses across several disciplines. Some of its most prestigious courses are:

  • M. ASc in Supply Management
  • M. S in Mechanical Engineering
  • M. S in Computational Science and Engineering
  • Master of Finance
  • M. S in Business Analytics
  • Master of Business Administration (MBA)
  • Bachelor of Science [B.S], Art and Design
  • Master of Engineering [M.Eng], Civil and Environmental Engineering
  • Bachelor of Science [B.S], Aerospace Engineering

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Accommodation

Students aspiring to study at MIT get to choose from various accommodation options. The two main options are:

University Housing and Dorms

About 70% of MIT undergraduate students opt to live on the campus. On-campus accommodation at MIT is known for its remarkable residence halls, recreational centers, and dedicated assistance to students. On-campus housing also includes high-speed internet connection, electricity, and heat.

Off-Campus Housing

Students who value their space and more autonomy can choose off-campus rentals. These properties are spread across the Boston-Cambridge area, offering students many options.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Course Fee

Students wishing to study at MIT can expect to pay the listed approximate fee:

  • The course fee for an undergraduate course at MIT is $55,878 or 46 Lakh INR
  • The course fee for a postgraduate course at MIT is $57,590 or 47 Lakh INR

Note: The tuition fees is subject to modification depending on the course of choice.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Living Cost

The approximate cost of living that a student can expect while studying at MIT is as follows:

  • Rent- $1808 or 1.4 Lakh INR (off-campus accommodation)
  • Transport- $132 or about 10,000 INR
  • Utilities- $181 or roughly 15,000 INR
  • Food & drinks- $406 or roughly 33,500 INR

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Scholarships

Some of the popular scholarships offered by MIT are:

  • Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships: This scholarship is granted to students with a minimum score of 55% in their bachelor’s and at least 3 years’ worth of work and community experience. The scholarship covers the tuition fee and part of the living expenses.
  • Debesh-Kamal Scholarship for Higher Studies: The preferred candidates for this scholarship are those below the age of 30 years. Winners of this scholarship receive a sum of 1,00,000 INR for tuition fees.
  • Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarships: To be eligible for this scholarship, the individual must be below the age of 30 and should have scored at least 70% in their bachelor’s. Up to $100,000 benefits are given to selected individuals.

Other scholarships offered by MIT are:

  • KC Mahindra Education Trust Scholarship
  • JN Tata Endowment for Higher Education of Indians
  • Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation Scholarships

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Placements

MIT offers placement support to more than 90% of its graduates within 3 months after graduation. MIT graduates usually earn higher wages than the national average (about 30-40% more). Some of the renowned companies where MIT graduates get to work are Google, Apple, Amazon, IBM, Goldman Sachs, American Express, and so on. Some of the most paying fields and their salaries are as follows:

  • Software Engineer- Average salary of $115,500 or 94.71 lakhs INR
  • Data Scientist- Average salary of $111,300 or 91.25 lakhs INR
  • Aerospace Engineer- Average salary of $97,500 or 79.94 lakhs INR
  • Research Scientist- Average salary of $112,100 or 91.91 lakhs INR

Other Universities in USA that you might be interested in,

Study Abroad
Study in USA
Colleges & Universities
University of Massachusetts
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants