university of California, Berkeley (UCB): Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarship & Placements

Study Abroad Team 20/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The University of California, Berkeley (UCB) is a prestigious higher education institution. This renowned public research university started its journey in 1868. Out of all other UC campuses, it is the oldest. Many students from India and other nations secure admission to this reputed university. 

Every year, many Indian students get a chance to pursue a bachelor’s or master’s program. The university offers over 350 courses and has 184 academic programs and departments. UC Berkeley is one of the founding members of AAU, a well-known part of American public research universities. 

In the list of the latest QS rankings, this prominent university has attained the 27th position, and 4th is the US News and World Report ranking. It is one of the US universities with over 12 percent of international students, including Indians. The Western Association of Schools and Colleges has accredited the University of California, Berkeley.

University of California, Berkeley Highlights

University of California, Berkeley is one of the highly sought-after destinations among Indians and students from several other countries. Here’s what compels international students to choose University of California, Berkeley.

  • Reputed Public University: The University of California, Berkeley, is the world’s best public university. This higher education institute is popular for offering STEM programs. Pursuing a course in this institution is affordable as it’s a public university. 

  • Safest for International Students: Every student who secures admission to this reputed university feels the utmost safety on the campus. California is well-known as the US’s Golden State, and this higher education institute is ideal for international students.

  • Pleasant Weather: Every person in California strongly believes that the nice weather of this state makes it stand out. International students can enjoy beautiful weather all year round. Summers are comfortable in Berkeley, and winters are short and not harsh.

  • State-of-the-Art Infrastructure: It is one of the universities in the US that boasts state-of-the-art infrastructure, which facilitates the teaching faculty and students immensely. Students have access to well-equipped labs and the library at the university.

University of California, Berkeley Admission

Every year, the University of California, Berkeley gives admission to a considerable number of international students. It is known for housing more than forty thousand students on a yearly basis. However, it is a pretty competitive higher education institute, as the acceptance rate of it is only 15%. 

Undergraduate Admission to UC Berkeley

  • Any student willing to study in the USA can apply for an undergraduate course through the official website of this university.

  • An applicant needs to obtain a minimum 3.4 GPA, which means scoring at least 85-90%

  • Appearing for English proficiency examinations such as IELTS or TOEFL is a must. An applicant needs to score at least 80 in TOEFL IBT. If an aspirant appears for IELTS, obtaining 6.5 is necessary.

  • It is essential for applicants to take standardized examinations and score between 650 and 750 on the SAT or 29 and 32 on the ACT. 

  • Apart from fulfilling all the aforementioned requirements, providing a letter of recommendation, academic resume, and statement of purpose is necessary. An applicant has to appear for an interview.

Postgraduate Admission to UC Berkeley

  • A student who aspires to pursue a postgraduate course at UC Berkeley has to apply through the university’s official portal.

  • An applicant must secure at least a 3.0 GPA to become eligible for a PG program. 

  • One has to appear for an English proficiency test such as TOEFL or IELTS. Scoring 90 in TOEFL IBT or 7 in IELTS can help increase an applicant’s chances of securing admission to UC Berkeley. 

  • A GRE is not required, but obtaining 700-760 in GMAT is requisite.

  • Aside from those mentioned above, an applicant must furnish 2-3 recommendation letters, an updated curriculum vitae, and a statement of purpose. Also, appearing for an interview is a must for a student who wants to pursue a postgraduate course at this university.

Eligibility Criteria

The application process is pretty hassle-free once an applicant understands all the requirements. It is necessary to meet the criteria to become eligible for admission. One must check the university portal thoroughly to gain clear knowledge of the admission requirements. Checking the course for which one is applying is necessary, as different degree courses have a set of additional requirements.

  • Applicants must have a higher secondary result or equivalent when applying for an undergraduate degree course. 

  • A bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a well-recognized institute is a must for students applying for PG programs.

  • On a scale of 4.0, obtaining at least a Grade-Point Average of 3.0 is necessary for applicants.

  • Sufficient undergraduate training, internship, or professional experience is essential for graduate work in the select field of study.

  • Applicants have to submit official and valid evidence of their English language proficiency.

  • Various undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses require applicants to take a standardized test.

  • Moreover, providing a statement of purpose and letters of recommendation is a must for applicants.

  • The application fee for a US student or permanent citizen is 135 US Dollars. International students must pay 155 US Dollars when applying for a course of study.

University of California, Berkeley Top Programs  

The University of Berkeley offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs. Here are some most sought-after UG and PG courses at UV Berkeley.

  • Bachelor of Science

  • Computer Science

  • Electrical Engineering

  • Bachelor of Arts

  • Bachelor of Business Administration

  • Master of Business Administration

  • Master of Law

  • Master of Engineering

  • Master of Science

University of California, Berkeley Accommodation

A student willing to study in the USA who meets all the entry requirements and secures admission to UC Berkeley can choose from three main accommodation options. 

  • One can live on the university campus housing easily with or without roommates

  • Reside in university-owned housing that’s outside the campus

  • Stay off-campus

More than ninety-six percent of the students choose to live in the university-owned and operated accommodation, and the rest live off-campus. 

University of California, Berkeley Cost

The average fee for an undergraduate program at UC Berkeley is 47 700 US Dollars (around 36.55 lakhs INR), and 35 400 USD (around 27 lakhs INR) for a postgraduate program. 

Course Cost

  • LLM – 69,500 USD

  • Bachelor of Science – 41,200 USD

  • BBA – 41,500 USD

  • MBA – 71,420 USD

  • M.Eng – 26,000 USD

  • Master of Science – 12,230 USD

Cost of Living in Berkeley

Both on-campus and off-campus accommodation expenses are higher in Berkeley. The cost varies depending on the accommodation type.

On-Campus Housing

  • Single room – 17,210 USD
  • Double room – 14,280 USD
  • Triple room – 12,240 USD

Off-Campus Training

  • 2-Beds Studio Apartment – 1800-4680 USD
  • 3-Beds Studio Apartment – 3290 – 6150 USD
  • 4-Beds Studio Apartment – 4488 – 7250 USD

University of California, Berkeley Scholarships

International students can apply for one of the available scholarships to pursue a coveted course at UC Berkeley for free. The scholarship application filing procedure is extensive, which is why it seems overwhelming for many applicants. Here are some popular scholarships that this prestigious university offers.

  • The Indian Trust Fellowship

  • Standford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowships for International Students

  • Inlaks Scholarship

  • Fulbright-Nehru Research Fellowship

University of California, Berkeley Placements

Every student lands a job or internship after completing a UG or PG course at UC Berkeley. Leading companies across the United States look for qualified students who pass out from one of the renowned universities in the US. The graduates get placement opportunities in diverse sectors. The average salary that top US employers offer graduates for specific roles is mentioned below.

Study Abroad
Study in USA
Colleges & Universities
University of California
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants