University of California, Los Angeles: Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarship & Placements

Study Abroad Team 20/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) is a prestigious public research institute established in 1919. Located in Los Angeles, the university is known for its diverse programs, academic excellence, vibrant social life, cutting-edge research technology, and a significant percentage of international students. 

Students looking to Study In USA should note that as for fall 2023, UCLA received around 145,904 admission applications, of which only 12,779 were given admission into their respective institutions, making the admission rate a brutal 8.8%. This proves the competitive atmosphere of this highly reputed university. 

Students looking to Study In the USA should note that the university is renowned for its research programs and ranks top globally among the best research institutions worldwide. The university also offers several prestigious undergraduate and postgraduate programs, with excellent scholarships awarded to meritorious students each year. 

With a QS World Ranking of #44 and a US World and News Report Ranking of #14, this institute can be considered one of the best universities in the US. Additionally, the university has a diverse crowd of around 7% of international students. UCLA has a sprawling campus spread over 400 acres (about half the area of Central Park in New York City) in the Westwood neighborhood of Los Angeles. 

University of California, Los Angeles Highlights 

The university offers several unique highlights that make it one of the top choices among Indian students planning to study in the USA. Below are some of the facts and highlights of the institution. 

  • UCLA’s athletic team has a prestigious reputation of succession in various sports, with many wins in NCAA championships.  
  • The university is a global research leader, advancing in various fields such as neuroscience, sustainable energy, stem cell research, etc. 
  • The university has a fun tradition of “Midnight Yell”, where students shout at midnight during finals week to take a break from studying.  
  • The most in-demand UG majors in the university are business economics, biology, psychology, political science, and psychobiology. 

University of California, Los Angeles Admissions 

Undergraduate Admission Eligibility Requirements at the University of California, LA 

  • The university offers more than 130 undergraduate admissions for students looking to Study In the USA, with the school of nursing being the most competitive (1% acceptance rate). 
  • Entry requirements demand that students apply online through the official UC application site. The application fee is around 80 USD. 
  • For UG programs, students must have completed 13 years of complete education, with an academic score of around 89%.  
  • The university required an IELTS overall band of 7.0 or a TOEFL score of around 100. (any one of the two). 

Postgraduate Admission Eligibility Requirements at the University of California, LA 

  • The university admits around 6,000 applicants for postgraduate programs yearly out of the 21,000 who apply.  
  • Students are required to apply through the UCLA Graduate Admission portal only. No other applications are entertained.  
  • Students must have a 4-year bachelor's equivalent, an aggregate GPA of 3.0, LORs, SOPs, and a well-maintained resume.  
  • Regarding language test submissions, students must present either an IELTS overall score of 7.0 or a TOEFL IBT score of at least 87. 

University of California, Los Angeles Programs 

The University of California offers various programs for undergraduate and postgraduate degrees for students looking to Study In the USA. Some of the most popular UCLA programs include: 

  • Bachelor of Science (B.S) in Biology 
  • Bachelor of Science (B.S) in Psychobiology 
  • Bachelor of Arts (B.A) in Political Science 
  • Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Economics 
  • Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Communication Studies 
  • Pre-Medical Study Courses 
  • Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Applied Mathematics 
  • Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Psychology 
  • Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Business Economics 
  • Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Computer Science 

University of California, Los Angeles Accommodation 

UCLA offers a wide spectrum of accommodation options for students. Below are some details on the accommodation options Indian students can consider.  

Apartments: The University offers on-campus apartments for international and domestic students to encourage an independent living lifestyle. These apartments are equipped with amenities like living rooms, kitchens, etc.  

Residential Halls: The University of California also offers suite-style living, allowing students to choose between single and shared rooms. These dorm rooms are equipped with top facilities to ensure that students face no inconvenience during their stay.  

University Apartments: These are off-campus housing alternatives owned by the university, situated in various neighborhoods around the campus. Each apartment complex offers a community of residents to foster connections among peers.  

University of California, Los Angeles Cost 

Course Fee for UCLA 

Below is a brief list of first-year course fees for the most popular programs at UCLA. Note that the cost is subject to change each year.  

  • Master of Science – INR 22.1 Lakhs to 27 Lakhs 
  • Master of Business Administration – INR 62 Lakhs  
  • Bachelor of Technology/Engineering - INR 35.7 to 39 Lakhs 
  • Bachelor of Arts – INR 27.1 Lakhs to 35.7 Lakhs 
  • Bachelor of Science – INR 35.7 to 39.1 Lakhs 
  • Master of Arts – INR 22.1 Lakhs 
  • Bachelor of Business Administration – INR 37.2 to 39.1 Lakhs 
  • Master of Engineering – INR 22.3 Lakhs 

University of California, Los Angeles Living Cost

The Westwood neighborhood of Los Angeles boasts a high standard of living. Therefore, on-campus and off-campus accommodation and travel options can get a little hefty when one studies at a prestigious institute like UCLA.  

Students will have to spend around USD 50,000 to 60,000 as their total cost. These expenses include tuition fees, housing rent, travel, and transportation. However, the cost can vary based on a student’s financial flexibility and budget.  

University of California, Los Angeles Scholarships  

While many scholarships are reserved for permanent residents of the country, UCLA provides several grants, fellowships, and scholarships to international students. Below are some popular scholarships awarded to meritorious students of the UCLA community:

UCLA Regents Scholarship 

This prestigious scholarship is awarded based on a student’s academic excellence, leadership capabilities, and extra-curricular achievements. The scholarship covers the entire tuition fee and provides a living stipend of around $2,000 regardless of financial need. Students are required to maintain a GPA of 3.0 in all quarters to avail themselves of the scholarship.  

UCLA Achievement Scholarship  

This scholarship is awarded to entering freshmen who excel in academics and community involvement. Awards under this program range from $500-$10,000 each year and are offered for a total duration of 4 years. This scholarship is exclusively awarded to financially unsupported students; therefore, applicants would be required to submit honest proof of financial need if they get selected.  

College Honor Scholarships  

These scholarships are exclusively awarded to undergraduate students in the UCLA Honors programs. The scholarship value ranges from $1000 to $4000 for one academic year. Additionally, students must be current College Honors students to avail themselves of the benefits of this scholarship. 

University of California, Los Angeles Placements  

The placement rates for UCLA stand at an outstanding and perfect score of 100%, that too within 6 months as a graduate. Students are placed in some top MNCs worldwide, including Amazon, Intel, Goldman Sachs, Ernst, KPMG, and many other global companies.  

As a University of California, LA graduate, one can expect an average package of nearly 90,000 USD (around 78.5 Lakhs INR), with around 30% of graduates placed in California. UCLA has a strong reputation for preparing candidates for the real world, providing top career opportunities, and producing outstanding graduates excelling in their respective fields of career.  

Study Abroad
Study in USA
studyinusa
UniversityOfCalifornia
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants