University of Pennsylvania: Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarship & Placements

Study Abroad Team 19/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Also referred to as UPenn or Penn, the University of Pennsylvania was established in 1740 as a private Ivy League research university. Apart from 4 undergraduate schools, the University of Pennsylvania has 12 graduate and professional schools. The university is based in the University City region of West Philadelphia, an educational hub.

Apart from its high academic standards, the university is quite selective in its admission processes. The almost three-century-old university has several firsts to its credit. At a time when women were not encouraged to opt for higher education, the University of Pennsylvania became the first university in the United States to open its gates to women.

University of Pennsylvania Highlights

In Pennsylvania, no university comes close to the ranking and reputation of the University of Pennsylvania. On the QS World University Ranks chart, it assumes the 13th spot. Many other ranking agencies rank it consistently as one of the top 10 universities in the country. The university has three sprawling campuses in New Bolton Center, University City Campus, and Morris Arboretum, making it easily accessible for Indian students aspiring to study in USA.

With 5.9% as its acceptance rate, the University of Pennsylvania has a reputation for being extremely selective when admitting students. A large number of international students, however, get admission to the university on merit every year. Many of these students come from Asian countries.

The university has a student capacity exceeding 28,000. While more than 23,000 students study in the university full-time, the number of part-time students touches the 5,000 mark. Since the university is in Philadelphia, students find it relatively easy to commute to other major cities like Washington, DC and New York and explore all they have to offer.

Since the University of Pennsylvania is located very close to tourist attractions like the Annenberg Centre, Rocky Statue, Arthur Ross Gallery, the Institute of Contemporary Art, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art, students can be sure about having enough things to explore while studying here. Many prominent shopping centers also surround the university.

The University of Pennsylvania is very exciting for students with a keen interest in sports as it offers them many sports facilities. Within the campus, the students get to participate in various sports, including hockey, baseball, cricket, badminton, and football. The university organizes 17 sports events for male students and 16 for female students every year.

University of Pennsylvania Admissions

To apply for a seat at the University of Pennsylvania, an international student has to submit the scores they have received on standardized tests. They can put across an application by visiting the common application portal. The application fee required to be submitted is 75 USD,, equivalent to 5,921 INR.

Knowing the academic requirements before applying for a course or program at the University of Pennsylvania is crucial. The educational requirements depend on the type of course or program the student uses.

If a student has an average GPA ranging from 3 – 4, they can get admission to the University of Pennsylvania. If the applicant has appeared for the IELTS test, they should have a minimum score of 7. If the applicant is not proficient in English, securing a seat in the University of Pennsylvania would be nearly impossible.

The applicant’s SAT score should be between 1490 and 1560. The ACT score should be a minimum of 35. They would be required to submit 2 letters of recommendation. Along with offering their portfolio, they will also have to write an essay. They would also have to submit their financial statements, which serves as a testimony to the fact they have enough funds to sustain themselves financially while pursuing the course or program they have applied to.

To apply for a post-graduation course, a student has to pay an application fee of 90 USD or 7,110 INR. While applying for an MBA program, they must pay a sum of 275 USD or 21,726 INR. A GPA score of 3.9 or 4 would help them considerably. Appearing for one of the English language proficiency tests, needless to say, is mandatory.

While scoring a 7 on an IELTS test is fine, the applicant is expected to get a 100 on the TOEFL iBT examination. An average GMAT score of 733 would be good. If they had appeared for a GRE, an average score of 324 would work well for them.

While applying for a post-graduate program, writing 2 essays is mandatory. The applicant can also write a third optional essay. Those applying for an MBA program would benefit tremendously if they have some work experience to show.

University of Pennsylvania Programs

The University of Pennsylvania is known for offering a wide range of courses and programs to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. Many international students, especially those of Indian origin, come to the University of Pennsylvania to study accounting. Many international students also enroll themselves in one of the many anthropology courses offered by the institute.

In the last few years, many international students have been applying for the digital media design course offered by the university. Regarding newer courses, many students opt for a BA or PhD in Earth and Environmental Science. Besides the full-fledged MBA course, the executive MBA course is quite popular among international students.

When international students wish to study history, they get to choose various options. While taking up history as a general subject is possible, they get a bunch of specializations to pick ranging from Jewish History to American History. While many apply for conventional courses like engineering and medicine, a large number of students prefer studying land preservation and music.

University of Pennsylvania Accommodations

International students studying at the University of Pennsylvania have several on-campus housing options. The student accommodation provided by the university comes equipped with all the modern facilities and amenities a student can wish to have around them.

Along with well-structured information centers, the accommodation provided by the university has package rooms, 24-hour security service, free laundry services and Wi-Fi. Since students from different countries live in shared spaces, a lot of cultural exchange occurs.

For an international student, living in the university's accommodation center is a much better option than staying outside for multiple reasons. When international students arrive in a country for the first time, they might feel awkward and out of place. Sharing an accommodation space with other students helps them familiarize themselves with the milieu and the people inhabiting it.

University of Pennsylvania Cost

The amount of money an international student has to pay to study at the University of Pennsylvania depends on the course or program they have opted for. A student, pursuing a 20-month-long MBA at the University of Pennsylvania, would have to pay USD 76,580. For a medicine and health care course, ranging from 1 – 4 years, a student would have to pay between USD 47,668 and USD 77,559.

An engineering course at the University of Pennsylvania costs between USD 31,000 and USD 47,000. Doing a full-fledged course in law would cost an international student nearly USD 56,000. The university offers students a variety of arts-based courses to choose from. Based on the course they opt for, they must pay between USD 47,000 and USD 68,000.

University of Pennsylvania Scholarships

The University of Pennsylvania offers international students several well-designed scholarship programs. Those applying for a Master’s Program offered by the University of Pennsylvania can apply for a Dean’s Scholarship. Those who manage to secure this scholarship receive an amount of 10,000 USD which they can utilize in their studies. The Penn GSE Merit-Based Scholarships covers part of the tuition fee the student must pay.

University of Pennsylvania Placements

A majority of international students who pass out from the University of Pennsylvania get good placement opportunities. The initial salaries received by the students, too, tend to be on the higher side.

While the average annual salary received by an MBA degree holder stands at 175,000 USD or 1.44 crore, a Bachelor of Science graduate can expect to earn 120,000 USD or 99,11,000 INR after taking up a job. Even undergraduate students who have received their education from The Wharton School or the School of Nursing receive good offers during on-campus placements.

Study Abroad
overseas education
Study in USA
Admission Process
University of Pennsylvania
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants