The University Centre in Svalbard :

Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarships and Placements.

Study Abroad Team 25/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Located in Longyearbyen, Norway, the University Centre of Svalbard is the world’s northernmost institute of higher education and is owned and administered by the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research for the students looking to study in Norway.  

Established in 1993, the organization (UNIS) plays a crucial role in research on Arctic and polar sciences. The university offers quality courses for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral-level programs in Arctic Biology, Arctic Geology, Arctic Geophysics, and Arctic Technology. The remote location and strong emphasis on research make it one of the leading polar sciences hubs around the world. 

Below is an insight into significant details about the university that might be helpful to applicants looking to study in Norway, such as admission requirements, application process, tuition and accommodation costs, admission criteria, etc. 

The University Centre in Svalbard, Norway, Highlights 

The university is distinguished in specific ways, making it one of the most demanded destinations for research and practical fieldwork in Arctic studies worldwide. Below are some of the unique facts and figures about the institution for students looking to study in Norway. 

  • The university is owned by a consortium of several other Norwegian universities, including the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), the University of Oslo, the University of Bergen, and several other important organizations. 
  • The most prominent feature of UNIS is its geographical location, which provides unique advantages and enables students to use the arctic temperature to their benefit for conducting research and collecting data. 
  • The university admits almost 700 new applicants yearly, making it one of those less populous institutions. 
  • All courses at this university are taught in English, which attracts applicants from all around the world. 

The University Centre in Svalbard, Norway Admissions 

 All applications for studying at the University Centre in Svalbard are completed online via the university’s official application portal. Additionally, the deadline for each intake, namely summer (15 January), autumn (15 April), and spring (15 October) are entirely final. No applications would be entertained in case the deadlines are missed. Therefore, applicants should make sure that they apply on time. 

Below are some basic and essential entry requirements mandatory to be fulfilled by Indian students who wish to study in Norway at The University Centre in Svalbard. Applicants must note that simply meeting these requirements won’t guarantee them admission into the university. These are just the bare minimum criteria every candidate must fulfill to be eligible for admission. 

Admission Eligibility Requirements for The University Centre in Svalbard, Norway 

The folowing are some of the admission requirements of the university for the students looking to study in Norway:

  •  Applicants applying for admission at UNIS must be enrolled in a bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD level program at a Norwegian or an accredited international institution of higher education. 
  • Candidates must meet the minimum academic prerequisite of 60 ECTS in general natural sciences. 
  • In addition, applicants must also meet the cutoff score specific to their course listed in each course description on the official university website. 
  • Students are required to submit transcript(s) of records from previous and present education at the university level. In case the applicant has completed a degree before, diploma(s) of completed degrees are also required. 
  • Besides, applicants are also asked to submit other necessary documents, such as a passport, digital passport-sized photographs, CV/Resume (if applicable), high school diploma, copy of residence permit, etc., at the time of application. 
  • International students are also asked to document proof of English language proficiency by submitting test scores of accepted English language exams. Norway's most widely accepted tests include IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE Academic. 
  • Students are advised to contact the Student Administration at UNIS for any queries regarding enrollment and admission requirements. 

 The University Centre in Svalbard, Norway Programs 

 The University Centre in Svalbard offers several programs in the English language to attract an international audience. As of now, the university offers 24 bachelor courses, 47 master courses, and 41 PhD courses in their curriculum. Below are some of the most popular programs at each degree level widely pursued by international students studying at UNIS. 

Bachelor Programs at The University Centre in Svalbard 

  • Bachelors in Arctic Biology 
  • Bachelor in Arctic Geophysics 
  • Bachelor in Arctic Geology 
  • Bachelor in Arctic Technology 
  • Bachelor in Arctic Environmental Management 
  • Arctic Marine Geology 
  • Snow and Ice Processes 
  • Terrestrial Arctic Biology 

 Master Programs at The University Centre in Svalbard 

  •  Ecology of Arctic Marine Benthos 
  • Masters in Arctic Geology 
  • Masters in Arctic Geophysics 
  • Masters in Arctic Technology 
  • Masters in Arctic Biology 
  • Arctic Plant Ecology 
  • Masters in Arctic Ocean Geophysics 
  • Masters in Glaciology 
  • Arctic Microbiology 
  • Masters in Arctic Petroleum Geosciences 

In addition, students looking to study in Norway are also allowed to pursue Ph.D. programs across various fields in collaboration with partner universities in Norway. The university serves as a research hub for candidates conducting essential theses in the field of arctic sciences. 

 The University Centre in Svalbard, Norway Accommodation 

  • UNIS offers housing alternatives to students pursuing undergraduate, postgraduate, as well as doctoral programs.  
  • Options for student housing are provided in collaboration with Samskipnaden, the Norwegian Arctic student welfare organization. 
  • The student housing residences are located at Elvesletta, which is in the center of Longyearbyen. 
  • Over 200 students currently reside in Elvesletta, which is a 5-minute walk to UNIS and is in proximity to a variety of shops and eateries.  
  • Applications for student housing are available as soon as the student confirms admission into the university. 

The University Centre in Svalbard, Norway Costs 

Below is a briefing on tuition fees per academic year and accommodation costs one can expect while studying at UNIS. Note that tuition fee is subject to change every year; therefore, students are advised to contact the student administration for the latest details. 

Course Fee  

  • While there are no tuition fees for studying at The University Centre in Svalbard, students are expected to pay a semester fee of around NOK 670 each semester. 
  • Additionally, international students who come to the university as exchange students are exempt from paying the semester fee. 

Accommodation Costs 

  • The accommodation, living, and travel cost in Svalbard is the same as anywhere in Norway. Therefore, students must be self-funded to pay the necessary living expenses, as living in the country can be expensive. 
  • The monthly rent for Elvesletta housing is currently 5,300 NOK for single rooms, 9,200 per month for 1-room flats, and 11,300 NOK for 2-room flats. 
  • Additionally, students will have to pay for food and travel, which can cost anywhere between 3,000 NOK to 5,000 NOK every month. 

The University Centre in Svalbard, Norway Scholarships  

 Students are expected to finance their studies and accommodation while studying at the University Centre in Svalbard. The university does not offer any financial aid in the form of grants, scholarships, or fellowships. Additionally, there is no tuition fee while studying at UNIS. 

 However, students who want access to financial aid for travel and accommodation expenses can apply for several Indian scholarships offered by governmental and non-governmental bodies. 

For example, the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation funds meritorious students for higher education abroad. Scholarships provided under this program might help students cover their airfare, accommodation, and travel expenses. 

The University Centre in Svalbard, Norway Placements 

  • Since the university's primary focus is on Arctic studies and research, top career opportunities are provided in the field of research itself, usually in the field of Arctic and polar sciences. 
  • Ph.D. students pursuing their thesis might receive grants from the Norwegian government, allowing them to be full-time researchers at the university after graduation. 
  • Several graduates and researchers affiliated with the university find excellent and high-paying jobs as researchers, professors, and lecturers in top universities inside and outside of Norway. 
  • Graduates specializing in Arctic geology and geophysics are given opportunities to work in geological surveys as researchers and in oil and gas exploration companies.

Other Universities in Norway that you might be interested are,

Study Abroad
Study in Norway
StudyAbroad
studyinnorway
theuniversitycentreinsvalbard
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants