The University of Bergen:

Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarship & Placements

Study Abroad Team 25/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The University of Bergen is a globally recognized research-intensive University. It is Norway's second-oldest university and has programs in all fields, including law and medicine. It is also the most significant marine university in Norway. It is ranked at the 281st position by QS World University Rankings. It has been presented with an award for Excellent International Student Satisfaction.

The acceptance rate at the University of Bergen is 29%, where 8% of the international applicants are accepted. The University campus and administration are located near Nygård.

The University of Bergen Highlights

Being one of the largest universities in Norway, the University of Bergen is a sought-after college by international students. Here's why:

  • The university offers around 25 postgraduate programs in the English language. The programs are spread over several fields, such as Medicine, Aesthetic Studies, Fine Arts, Music, Natural Sciences, and many more.
  • Being one of Norway's most prominent marine universities, it provides a state-of-the-art research environment to field students and focuses on quality education.
  • It offers over 400 different courses to exchange students.
  • The university offers welfare assistance to financially challenged students.
  • The university hosts cultural and other activities annually to help students enjoy university life.
  • The university offers paid PhD education to students and provides diverse tasks with research findings.
  • The university guarantees housing and accommodation to its international students.
  • The PhD students at the university are paid employees, which makes the university's doctoral degree extremely popular among driven individuals.
  • It is the only institution in Norway with a separately assigned faculty for studying Psychology.
  • Attracting students from all over the world, the university nurtures an environment of knowledge. This is where students learn and acquire an in-depth understanding of the world.
  • The lecturers at the university are researchers, and most are international elites in their academic fields. Thus, students will get an opportunity to learn from world-class scientists.
  • The university also offers its students many facilities, including a state-of-the-art auditorium, fully-equipped computers, and science laboratories.
  • The university adopts innovation and modern technology to provide its students and staff with best-in-class facilities. It also conducts digital examinations for its students.
  • The university's egalitarian Norwegian culture benefits students and staff by providing an informal learning environment. The students thus find it easy to approach and interact with the professors, staff, and peers.

University of Bergen Admission

Undergraduate Admission at the University of Bergen

  • Courses under the university's bachelor's or undergraduate program are not taught in English. International students wanting to pursue an undergraduate degree at the university must provide a document proving their Norwegian Language Proficiency.
  • Students must apply through NUCAS or the Norwegian Universities and Colleges Admission Service.
  • To qualify for admissions, the students must meet a few programs' general and specific entrance requirements.
  • Students eligible to apply must have completed their upper secondary and have at least one year of education in a University approved by the country's authorities.
  • After students have successfully applied for the program, NUCAS will calculate their competition score.
  • Students must also upload sufficient documents to prove their English and Norwegian language proficiency.

Postgraduate Admission at the University of Bergen

  • Students must have obtained an undergraduate degree of at least four years to be eligible to apply for a postgraduate degree at the university. An accredited university should have issued this degree.
  • The degree the students have obtained in their undergraduate program must equal 80 ECTS in a subject relevant to the program they have applied for.
  • Students must have secured a grade average equivalent to a Norwegian C.
  • It is also necessary for students to submit proof of their English language proficiency. A minimum overall band score of 6.5 in the IELTS is required. Other equivalent test results are acceptable, too.
  • Students must submit documents as proof of sufficient funds to cover their living expenses in Norway.

Ph.D. Admission to the University of Bergen

Pursuing a PhD at the University of Bergen offers Indian students the possibility of working in various fields of their interest. Here are the entry requirements that Ph.D. aspirants must know while applying at the University of Bergen.

  • Students must have completed a Master's degree of five years duration.
  • Besides a Ph.D. project description, aspirants must have total funding.
  • For more information on faculty-specific requirements, students must visit the official website.

Eligibility Criteria

The acceptance rate of the University of Bergen is 65%. In other words, it is a reasonably competitive university for Indian students. The University of Bergen in Norway requires students to maintain a 3 out of 4 GPA. Students must also participate in extra-curricular activities like sports and public speaking to optimize their chances of being accepted into this top Norway University.

University of Bergen Programs

The university offers different programs under its undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral degrees. Some popular programs offered by the university are listed below:

  • Master's in Philosophy
  • Master's in Linguistics
  • Master's in Digital Culture
  • Master's in Biomedical Sciences
  • Master's in Global Health
  • Master's in Fine Art
  • Master's in Curatorial Practice
  • Master's in Earth Science
  • Master's in Global Health
  • Master's in Biomedical Sciences
  • Master's in Biology

University of Bergen Accommodation

University students can apply for housing through the Student Welfare Organization or SAMMEN. They are eligible for guaranteed accommodation if they fall under the following categories:

  • If they are exchange students
  • If they are international master's degree students
  • Students admitted to the university's collaboration programs are staying for a minimum duration of one semester.

Students will be eligible for housing guarantee only when:

  • A new international student is admitted for at least one semester
  • The students are residing outside the nation at the time of admission
  • The students have submitted housing applications within the deadline
  • The students have arrived at the beginning of the new semester
  • Students who have applied for housing at SAMMEN for the first time.

The application process for guaranteed housing is as follows:

  • The students wanting to apply must register at the Sammen Application Portal.
  • They need to register using a valid mobile number while applying for housing.
  • SAMMEN also offers specially-abled students apartments or rooms that cater to their needs. Such students will need to inform SAMMEN soon after submitting their application by sending a mail.
  • Applications: The accepted students will receive an offer or contract via e-mail.
  • The monthly rent the students will have to pay for the accommodation includes water, heating, and internet access. The bill for electricity is charged separately from the students.
  • Upon accepting their applications, students can be offered a room at the Fantoft Hostel or student housing facilities across Bergen.

University of Bergen Course Fee

The approximate course fees to pursue higher education at the University of Bergen are listed as follows:

  • Postgraduate program at the Fine Art, Music and Design Faculty- 2907345 INR
  • Postgraduate program at the Mathematics and Natural Sciences Faculty- 2008411 INR
  • Postgraduate program at the Psychology Faculty- 1459105 INR

University of Bergen Living Cost

The approximate cost of living per month in Bergen near the University of Bergen for students pursuing higher education is listed below:
Rent- 1067544 INR

  • Food and groceries- 26688 INR
  • Entertainment- 8896 INR
  • Transportation- 6227 INR

University of Bergen Scholarships

Some of the scholarships that are accepted at the University of Bergen are:

  • Erasmus+ Grant- This scholarship is offered to students who register for tertiary-level studies or a degree.
  • Tuition-free Master's Program- The students must submit applications within the deadline and submit proof of sufficient funding. Since the university does not provide self-funded scholarships, students must arrange for their finances, like traveling and living expenses in the city.

University of Bergen Placements

The university offers varied programs for international students, among which the students can choose. Graduating from faculties such as Medicine, Law, Mathematics, and Natural Sciences can provide the students with excellent career opportunities. Some of the most sought-after professions with an approximate annual salary are given below:

  • Insurance and Finance Executives- 10293624 INR
  • Medical Specialists- 8952333 INR
  • Civil Engineers- 8632607 INR
  • Finance and Economics Executives- 9467014 INR

Other Universities in Norway that you might be interested are,

Study Abroad
Study in Norway
University of Bergen
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants