Ludwig Maximilan University of Munich:

Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarships and Placements

Study Abroad Team 25/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich is one of the leading public research universities to study in Germany. The prestigious German higher education institute was established in 1472, which is why it is one of the oldest universities in the country. Thousands of study-abroad aspirants worldwide secure admission to this university and pursue their coveted courses. 

The Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich is highly sought-after in Germany because it offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs. It is considered one of the 50 best universities in the world due to its emphasis on providing top-quality education. 54th is its rank in the latest QS World University Rankings. LMU Munich has secured the 42nd spot in the World Reputation Rankings 2023.

Aside from many deserving international students, talented scholars from different countries chose this institution in the heart of Munich. The Bavarian State Ministry for Science and Art accredits this premier research and educational institute. 

The Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich Highlights

  • LMU Munich is the perfect destination for all those native and international students who seek the right kind of support to cultivate ideas to address challenges and change complex situations. 
  • A lot of graduates from this esteemed university play an instrumental role in contributing to the development of the world in multiple ways. 
  • The Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich boasts 18 faculties responsible for offering courses across various levels in English as well as German languages. 
  • LMU Munich is closely associated with the Europaeum, LERU, and German Excellence Universities. It is regarded as a University of Excellence. 
  • The 551-year-old institution in Germany is renowned for offering varying academic and non-academic services and facilities that benefit students. It has a world-class library featuring an eclectic variety of books, journals, thesis, and other study materials. 
  • The Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers seven double-degree courses. Students who pursue these programs receive two academic degrees. LMU awards them a degree, and the associate university provides the other. 

Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich Admission

LMU Munich is home to over 51,6000 students, including those from over 130 nations. Around 15% of the total student population in this popular German university consists of Indians and students from several other countries. 

This institution enjoys an excellent reputation, so it only gives admission to those who deserve it. It stringently follows a highly selective admission policy. The acceptance rate of this German institution is 55%. 

Applicants must complete the application process correctly to increase their chances of securing admission. Checking the university's official website can help potential applicants learn about the exact steps they must follow when filing an application. 

LMU Munich adheres to the typical German university intake seasons – summer and winter. The summer intake begins in March-April, and the winter intake commences between September and October. 

Undergraduate Admission to Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich 

The Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers more than 100 undergraduate programs. The most crucial thing for a UG program applicant is to meet the entry requirements. 

  • Applying to a UG course through LMU Munich’s International Office is essential for international students.
  • Applicants must provide the school leaving certificate when submitting the application form.
  • Meeting German language proficiency requirements is paramount for every UG applicant. So, scoring at least 2-3 in DSH or Level 4 in TestDaF is a must to get enrolled. 
  • Proving English language proficiency is necessary for every UG course applicant who is a non-native English speaker. So, achieving a minimum score of 95 in TOEFL iBT or 6.5 in IELTS is imperative.
  • Submission of the university entrance qualification certificate is a must for applicants.

Here are all the documents every UG course applicant must submit online.

  • A passport copy 
  • Passport photographs
  • Updated CV
  • Letter of Recommendation
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Proof of financial resources

The Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich does not require applicants to pay any fee for applying to a coveted UG program.

Postgraduate Admission to Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich 

Most international graduates prefer pursuing a master’s degree at LMU Munich over other German universities because it offers around 100 postgraduate courses. Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers only 27 master’s degree courses in English, and the remaining are in German. Fulfilling entry requirements is a must for every graduate who aspires to secure admission to this university and hold a postgraduate degree.

  • Applicants must file an application via the university's official application portal for a postgraduate program.
  • Holding an undergraduate degree recognized by German universities is essential for PG program applicants.
  • Meeting German proficiency criteria is necessary; thus, an applicant must secure at least a C2 in Goethe-Zertifikat or a point of 2 in DSH. 
  • Obtaining 90- 95 in TOEFL iBT or 6.5 in IELTS is necessary for applicants who are non-native English speakers to prove their proficiency in the English language. 
  • PG applicants must upload all necessary documents when submitting the application form online.

Applying to a postgraduate degree course that LMU Munich offers does not require an applicant to pay any fee.

Eligibility Criteria

Meeting the eligibility requirements is paramount for applicants to secure admission to a coveted UG or PG program at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.

  • Applicants must file an application via the university application portal for an undergraduate or postgraduate program.
  • UG program applicants must have a school leaving certificate or equivalent.
  • Those who apply to a postgraduate course must hold a bachelor's degree.
  • Applicants must prove their English and German language proficiency to secure admission. Therefore, scoring well in IELTS or TOEFL iBT matters the most. 
  • UG and PG program applicants must provide all necessary documents when submitting the application form.

Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich Popular Programs

  • Biological Sciences
  • Life Sciences and Medicine
  • Data Science
  • Physics and Astronomy
  • Quantitative Economics
  • Philosophy

Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich Accommodation

LMU Munich offers an array of accommodation facilities to all the international students who secure admission to this institute. The Munich Student Union controls the university housing where only 13% of the international students live. The university provides housing options, including single apartments, private rooms, and shared apartments. 

All rooms are well-furnished, which the LMU Munich Student Union offers. However, only a limited number of students can avail of these facilities. Many international students choose off-campus accommodation options such as affordable studio rooms or shared flats in Munich. 

The Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich Cost

LMU Munich does not require native or international students to pay tuition fees for UG or PG programs. However, it does charge a certain fee for some master’s degree courses taught in the English language. In addition, students need to pay the semester fee, which is nominal. The tuition fee is around 280-350 EUR if a student resides in University housing, and it is 450-680 EUR for private accommodation.

Cost of Living in Munich

An international student who studies and lives in Munich is required to spend an average of 400 EUR per month. Single and shared apartments’ costs range between 400-650 EUR, and student housing rooms’ pricing ranges between 250-350 EUR. Private housing expenses are around 550 EUR in Munich for international students.

Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich Scholarships

Students from non-EU/EEA nations studying at LMU Munich can apply for scholarships and financial aid that the university provides. Here are the currently available scholarships.

  • SIST LMU Study Scholarship
  • SIST LMU Study Completion Scholarship
  • LMU Nothilfe
  • BESUD Scholarship
  • Oskar Karl Forster Scholarship

Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich Placements

LMU Munich is instrumental in helping students enrich their knowledge and skills and making them job-ready. This reputed German institute maintains a cordial relationship with leading companies and organizations across the world, which helps its graduates land rewarding and lucrative jobs. The salary of a highly qualified graduate from LMU Munich ranges between 84,530 – 168,000 EUR per annum. 

Other Universities in Germany that you might be interested in,

Study Abroad
Study in Germany
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants