University of Bologna:

Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarship & Placements

Study Abroad Team 26/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The University of Bologna, also referred to by its abbreviated form UNIBO, is a public research university based in Bologna, Italy, established in 1088. What makes the university truly special is that it is the oldest operational university in the world today. It also holds the distinction of being the first-ever degree-awarding educational institution that offers higher education.

During any academic year, the University of Bologna serves as the educational hub for more than 90,000 students. It is the first educational institution to use and recognize the term ‘universitas’ Being one of the largest and most reputed universities in the whole of Europe, the University of Bologna attracts a large number of international students every year.

The University of Bologna Highlights

  • Being a more than 900-year-old university, the University of Bologna has played an essential role in shaping the history of Italy. During the Italian Renaissance, the university contributed significantly to raising awareness about scientific studies' importance. 
  • Along with its primary campus, the University of Bologna has multiple campuses in Italian cities like Ravenna, Cesena, Rimini, and Forli. In Bueno Aires, Argentina, the university has a dedicated branch center. 
  • The university also has a school of excellence named Collegio Superiore di Bologna. It has been designed as an institution to promote the merit and skills of students by offering them dedicated learning programs. 
  • Bettisia Gozzadini, the first woman to receive a university degree in the world, graduated from the University of Bologna. Laura Bassi, the first woman in the world to receive a doctorate in science, also studied in the same university. 
  • The University of Bologna is known for contributing to several projects to promote sustainable development. It has played an important role in accomplishing as many as 17 sustainable development goals as part of the 2030 Agenda of the UN. 
  • From the renowned Pope Alexander VI to theoretical physicist Carlo Rovelli, the University of Bologna has been the alma mater for several prominent individuals.
  • The QS World University Rankings ranks the University of Bologna in the 16th out of all the universities worldwide. In terms of academic reputation, the university is ranked 71st in Italy. As far as graduate employability is concerned, the university is ranked 84th.

University of Bologna Admissions

  • The University of Bologna offers various undergraduate and postgraduate programs that international students can apply for. An international student must visit the university's official online application portal to apply for these courses. Depending on the course the candidate is applying for, the university will charge between 20 – 50 EUR as the application fee. 
  • The candidate can download the application form from the application portal, fill it up with the requisite details, and send it to the university. While filling up the form, the candidate should be extremely cautious as they would not have the chance to modify any information or details later. 
  • While applying for a course at the University of Bologna, an international student must send the official transcripts of their academic records. Along with their resume, they will have to send a scanned copy of their passport, copy of residence permit, statement of purpose, and letter of recommendation. 
  • At the University of Bologna, the courses are taught in English. Therefore, a candidate must appear for one of the English language proficiency tests before applying for a course or program offered by the university. 
  • The minimum score a candidate needs to have in an English language proficiency test depends on the test they appeared for. If the candidate appeared for a TOEFL CBT test, they must score at least 213. For a student appearing for a TOEFL PBT, the minimum required score is 550. 70 is the minimum a student needs to score in a TOEFL IBT. From IELTS candidates, the university expects a minimum score of 5.5.

University of Bologna Programs

  • The University of Bologna offers as many as 232 programs for students. Out of these 232 programs, 84 happen to be international degree courses. Of these 84 programs, 68 are English language courses. The university boasts 53 specialization schools, 48 Ph.D. programs, and 86 master’s programs.
  • The university has 32 academic departments and 5 schools offering courses in psychology, medicine, veterinary medicine, cultural heritage, law, and health. While 101 programs are offered at the undergraduate level, 151 are designed as postgraduate programs. 
  • For international students, some of the most sought-after programs at the University of Bologna are education, pharmacy, law, psychology, architecture, engineering and economics, and management. Many international students get a master’s degree in MBA, medicine, biotechnology, education, and law. 
  • The university has 850 classrooms and 11 research and training centers. The university has been at the forefront as far as promoting online education activities is concerned. 
  • Apart from its wide range of programs, the university offers students all the modern facilities and amenities they could ask for. The university provides students with counseling services and has dedicated study rooms and a public relations office. 
  • The university has a well-stocked library with countless physical books, more than 400,000 e-books, 50,000 online journals, and 753 databases. The research labs, computer labs, and educational centers are open to students throughout the year. 

University of Bologna Accommodations

  • At least 2,000 international students can study at the University of Bologna during any academic year. The campuses of the university have residential halls designed to provide accommodation to both UG and PG students.
  • The Forli campus of the university has the Sassi Masini student hostel, which accommodates 120 students. The hostel has 86 double rooms and 34 single rooms. The same campus has the San Francesco student hostel, which can accommodate more than 200 students. The Ravenna and Cesena campuses of the university do not offer any accommodation facilities. 
  • The Rimini campus of the university has 57 single rooms, 14 double rooms, and 5 rooms for differently-abled students. Students can access multiple facilities and services in these rooms, including the internet, television, cooking equipment, private bathrooms, and air-conditioning. 
  • If an international student opts for a single room accommodation, they must pay 270 – 300 EUR monthly. Renting a double room would cost 200 – 250 EUR every month. Students must spend between 400 – 500 EUR if they wish to live in an apartment. 

University of Bologna Scholarships

Horowitz Foundation Grants: These grants are open to those who wish to do their Ph.D. at the University of Bologna. International students from any country or nationality can apply for these grants. These grants provide partial funding for a student’s education.

Ethicon Foundation Fund Travel Grants: An international student planning to study medicine at the University of Bologna can apply for the Ethicon Foundation Fund Travel Grants. These grants are open to students of all nationalities.

Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists: If a female student plans to study journalism at the University of Bologna, they can apply for this scholarship, which partially covers the educational expenses.

University of Bologna Placements

  • Apart from putting together resumes, the University of Bologna helps its students prepare themselves for job interviews and guides them on conducting themselves during the placement process. 
  • The salaries offered to the students of the University of Bologna are much higher compared to the kind offered to the students of most other students who study in Italy. While somebody with an Executive MBA degree could expect to get a job that would enable them to earn $168,000 a year, somebody with a Master in Science degree will be paid an average annual salary of $69,000.

You might also interested in Other Universities for Studying in Italy:

Study Abroad
Study in Italy
University of Bologna
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants