Chalmers University of Technology:

Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarship and Placements

Study Abroad Team 26/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Located in Gothenburg, Sweden, the Chalmers University of Technology has been a private university since 1994. It was founded in 1829. The Chalmers University of Technology Foundation owns this research institute. It provides education in the following fields: engineering, science, architecture, and management. There are over 10,000 full-time students and 3,000 staff members, of which 615 are teachers and 194 professors.

According to QS World University Rankings, Chalmers University of Technology holds a global rank 129. According to QS Graduate Employability Rankings (where 550 universities were ranked), it stands in the 83rd position. The QS World University Rankings is one of the oldest ranking systems that measure universities' overall performance. 2019’s EU Commission announced Chalmers University as one of Europe’s top universities.

Chalmers University of Technology Highlights

The Chalmers University of Technology awards 250 postgraduate and 850 graduate degrees yearly. It is partnered with UNITECH International, which helps bridge the gap between the industrial and academic sectors for students. It is a sustainable-driven institution in the following ways:

  • Every year, Chalmers University honors Nobel laureates, and they come to Gothenburg to lecture students.
  • Chalmers University of Technology publishes an annual report for students about degrees, application rates, scientific publications, and developmental work
  • Currently, it has an acceptance rate of 79%.
  • Chalmers University publishes a sustainability report annually that tracks the organization’s sustainability footprint. This report covers energy consumption, emissions from travel, hazardous waste, and health and safety.
  • As of 2022, Chalmers University of Technology has published almost 3,000 research publications

Chalmers University of Technology Admissions

Undergraduate Admissions

  • Chalmers University of Technology offers 30 bachelor's programs to Swedish citizen students only. These programs range from engineering, science, shipping, and architecture. All programs are delivered in Swedish, so fluency in Swedish or another Scandinavian language is mandatory.
  • Students must prove their formal education in Swedish, which should be equivalent to upper secondary course Swedish 3/B.
  • To gain admission to a bachelor’s program, students must register for each course, study period, and semester. Registration opens three weeks before the course instance begins.
  • Students should first register through the ANTAGNING.SE application portal. (not open to international students) The application fee is 900 SEK.
  • The documents required for application are academic transcripts, Swedish proficiency test scores, financial statement, passport, resume, and letter of motivation (or statement of purpose)

Postgraduate Admissions

  • Students wishing to do a master’s program at Chalmers University of Technology must submit their application through the universityadmissions.se portal. The window to do this is from mid-October to mid-January
  • There are two admission rounds. Students must go through the entry requirements for the specific program before applying.
  • Students must pay the application fee of INR 7,183
  • The documents required for applying are degree transcripts, English proficiency test scores, documents of citizenship, financial statement, passport, letters of recommendation, CV, letter of motivation, portfolio, and work experience (if applicable).
  • Prospective students must hold a degree equivalent to a Swedish Bachelors in Science, Engineering, Technology, or Architecture (minimum of three years).
  • Other mandatory documents for admission are proof of entry requirements. This can be a syllabus for each course listed in the transcripts. Students must also fill out the Chalmers-specific entry requirement form.
  • Late applications are also accepted in cases where a master’s program re-opens, but acceptance is not guaranteed.

Doctoral Admissions

  • The Graduate School of Chalmers University of Technology offers doctoral studies in 4 specializations. They are Computer Science and Engineering, Human-Technology-Design, Human-Computer Interaction, and Bioscience.
  • Admissions to PhD and Doctoral positions are based solely on vacancies. They are advertised under the vacancies page of their website.
  • Applications for doctoral positions should be written in English and sent electronically as PDFs. Along with the application, other required documents are a CV, two references, and a personal letter. Other documents are copies of bachelor’s and master’s thesis, attested transcripts of completed education, and English proficiency test scores.

Eligibility Criteria

General and specific entry requirements for students seeking admission determine their eligibility criteria.

  • General entry requirements are that students must hold a degree equivalent to a Swedish degree. Applicants must document their formal academic qualifications. Only documents from internationally recognized universities that the Swedish Council approves for Higher Education will be accepted. If the applicant holds a second degree, that may be to fulfill specific entry requirements.
  • Specific entry requirements include English language proficiency scores. Additionally, applicants must meet the program-specific needs like courses, portfolio, and interview.

Chalmers University of Technology Programs

The Chalmers University of Technology offers Bachelor’s and Master’s level programs. They offer around 30 bachelor’s programs and 13 broad master’s programs. Their study programs lead to the following degrees.

  • BSc in Engineering (Swedish)
  • BSc in Marine Engineering (Swedish)
  • BSc in Nautical Sciences (Swedish)
  • Bachelor of Science (Swedish)
  • Master of Architecture (Swedish/English)
  • MSc in Engineering (Swedish/English)
  • Master of Science (English)

Their master’s programs fall under the following educational areas.

  • Architecture
  • Automation and Mechatronics
  • Biotechnology and Chemical Engineering
  • Civil Engineering
  • Computer Engineering
  • Industrial Engineering and Management
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Information Engineering
  • Maritime Management
  • Mechanical and Industrial Design Engineering
  • Physics, Mathematics and Environment
  • Technology and Learning
  • Nordic Five Tech

The doctoral programs are the following:

  • Computer Science and Engineering
  • Human-Technology-Design
  • Human-Computer Interaction
  • Bioscience

Chalmers University of Technology Accommodations

Before looking for accommodations, students must ensure that they apply for a residence permit to study in Sweden. This applies to applicants from a country outside the EU/EEA.

Student housing is guaranteed for fee-paying students. Otherwise, the university expects students to look for accommodation on their own. If students fall under the category of fee-paying, scholarship, Nordic5Tech, Erasmus Mundus, double master’s degree, UNITECH, or exchange students, then they are guaranteed accommodation. They are covered by Chalmer’s’ housing guarantee and receive an e-mail to offer single occupancy accommodation.

Accommodation is a one-room apartment or a single room with a shared kitchen or bathroom.

Students not guaranteed housing must register for the student housing agencies' queues. Other options are finding private landlords or other housing/renting companies/agencies.

Chalmers University of Technology Costs

International students must pay an application fee of INR 7,158, which is non-refundable. Non-EU-EEA citizens must pay tuition fees.

Course Fee

  • The course fee for bachelor’s and master’s level programs (except Architecture) is INR 6,37,000 per semester.
  • The tuition fee for bachelor’s and master’s programs in Architecture is INR 8,36,000 per semester.

Cost of Living

  • Rent prices in Gothenburg vary between INR 32,000 to INR 55,700 per month, including Wi-Fi, electricity, heating, and water.
  • Other living costs require a minimum of INR 76,000 per month. This should be the minimum average monthly student budget.

Chalmers University of Technology Scholarships

Chalmers University has a separate set of applications for scholarships for its programs. They are:

  • Avancez Scholarships
  • IPOET Scholarships
  • Sievert Larsson Scholarship
  • The US Friends of Chalmers Scholarship
  • Adlerbert Study Scholarships
  • EDU-WACQT Scholarships in Quantum Technology
  • External scholarships administered by other organizations are:
  • Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals
  • The Global Study Awards
  • Scholars4dev

Chalmers University of Technology Placements

Thanks to the Chalmers University of Technology faculty’s network, students and graduates gain international experience through work placements. They offer internships, traineeships, and exchange programs for students to broaden their horizons after graduation.

  • Unitech International provides work placements in leading companies. They also offer exchange programs in personal development and managerial skills. Their network includes seven renowned European universities and many European companies with offices worldwide.
  • Erasmus+ grants traineeships to students intending to work in a company or research center in Europe (except Switzerland and the UK).
  • IAESTE offers paid internships to engineers and architects in 80 countries worldwide.
  • IDEA League Student Grant has networked with TU Delft, RWTH Aachen, ETH Zürich, Politecnico di Milano, and Chalmers. They provide internships as part of degree projects to students.

Other Universities in Finland that you might be interested are as follows,

Study Abroad
Study in Sweden
Chalmers University of Technol
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants